Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 2017 11:43:48 -0400
From:      Mark Saad <nonesuch@longcount.org>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Self encrypting drives

Hi everyone,
  I ran into a very strange issue last week . I had a server with a basic zf=
s setup , running 11-Release-p11 amd64 . 4 disks in  pool of two mirrors . I=
 also had a 400g disk I was using in a 60/40 split with gpt partitions ,for l=
2arc and slog . All was good until a reboot where the ssd out of the blue de=
cided it was encrypted. On that reboot the box was waiting at a enter passwo=
rd prompt . I had never set this up and had no idea what it was . The disk i=
s an ocz p5: tg32c10480gk . Also the ssd going bananas caused my pool to bre=
ak in interesting ways . More on that later . So I have Two questions.

Is there a way from inside FreeBSD to enable / disable sed or fed on a disk t=
hat supports it ? In Linux hdparm can do this . Second question has anyone e=
ver seen a disk do this ? Could this be a sign it was failed?=20

So zpool fun ; so the ssd was inaccessible after the kernel loaded . The is c=
ould see the disk but most of the commands sent to it failed . The odd issue=
 was the zpool would not properly mount any zfs file systems and panic the b=
ox . I suspect this is from my stupidity of putting slog and l2arc on one di=
sk . Anyone have any ideas on this ?=20

---
Mark Saad | nonesuch@longcount.org=