Date:      Sun, 10 May 1998 22:02:50 -0500
From:      Jacques Vidrine <nectar@nectar.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Dexnation Holodream <dex@wankers.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: strangeness w/ a Jaz drive

I use a Jaz drive, and I get the same messages regarding mode sense.
They are harmless, as Mike says.

However, where your kernel message says:
> > sd1 could not mode sense (4). Using ficticious geometry
> > 0MB (0 512 byte sectors)

Mine says:
1021MB (2091050 512 byte sectors)
sd0: with 1021 cyls, 64 heads, and an average 32 sectors/track

I wasn't paying attention: are you running -current or -stable?

Before you can mount it, you need to disklabel it and put
a filesystem on it.  Unless you want to look at a Jaz cartridge
with a DOS filesystem on it ... in which case, be sure you
use ``mount -t msdos...''.  You may want to try ``fdisk sd1''
in order to see which partition you need to mount.

For example, to mount my Jaz Tools disk (for no good reason), I
do:

mount -t msdos /dev/sd0s4 /mnt

Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>