Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2012 23:40:46 +0100
From:      Andreas Longwitz <longwitz@incore.de>
To:        pyunyh@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel 82550 Pro/100 Ethernet and Microcode

YongHyeon PYUN wrote:

> The microcode is normally used to reduce high number of interrupts
> under heavy network load by bundling multiple RX frames.

ok, I understand. But I have DEVICE_POLLING and HZ=1000 in the kernel
source, so interrupts do not occur.

> However
> your reason to use microcode for i82550C looks weird since the
> microcode used for i82550C does not have a fix for TCO bug.
> The microcode for i82550(fxp2 in your system) indeed has fix for
> TCO bug and includes additional feature for bundling.

According to the comments in rcvbundl.h it is just directly opposed.

> If you're
> suffering from TCO bug of i82550, NFS over UDP issue should happen
> only on i82550(fxp2). Can you check whether the NFS issue happens
> on i82550C (fxp0 and fxp1) without loading the microcode?

The NFS issue happens on fxp0 (i82550C) without loading of microcode:
Mar 16 16:12:52 <kern.info> dssresv1 kernel: nfs server
                dsscam:/prod/mobotix: not responding
Mar 16 16:13:24 <kern.info> dssresv1 kernel: nfs server
                dsscam:/prod/mobotix: not responding
Mar 16 16:13:56 <kern.info> dssresv1 kernel: nfs server
                dsscam:/prod/mobotix: not responding
Mar 16 16:14:28 <kern.info> dssresv1 kernel: nfs server
                dsscam:/prod/mobotix: not responding
Mar 16 16:14:59 <kern.info> dssresv1 kernel: nfs server
                dsscam:/prod/mobotix: is alive again

The last message appears immediately after loading the microcode with
            ifconfig fxp0 link0.

> I still can't explain why your i82550C with the loaded microcode
> does not generates SCB timeouts because mine always shows the error
> right after loading the microcode.

In FreeBSD 6 and 8 I need my bzero-patch to get fxp working, In FreeBSD
4 - on the same hardware - this was not necessary.

> Are you actively using fxp0 or fxp1 after loading the microcode?

Yes I have 6 server with fxp0/fxp1 i82550C and 2 server with fxp0/fxp1
i82550 on motherboard in production, additionally some fxp2 i82550
external cards. All run with microcode loaded and polling.

> If yes, could you check whether
> the CPU Saver feature of the microcode really works on i82550C?
> You may be able to use netperf UDP stream test to verify that.

I did some tests with netperf 2.5.0, At first I had to patch some format
strings in netperf from %d to %lld for uint64_t variables to get
readable output from netperf on my i386 systems.

The test command
      netperf -H host_with_fxp -t UDP_STREAM
gives nearly always the same output

Socket  Message  Elapsed      Messages
Size    Size     Time         Okay Errors   Throughput
bytes   bytes    secs            #      #   10^6bits/sec

  9216    9216   10.00       13069 1515880     96.34
 41600           10.00       13069             96.34

And this output did not considerably change for the test cases fxp-type
i82550C or i82550, microcode loaded or not and polling yes or no.

But I can answer your question concerning the CPU Saver funktion on
i82550C and its a little suprise (for me). In all my tests without
polling I checked the irq's on host_with_fxp using "vmstat -i". The
result is that the CPU Saver feature of the microcode does not work on
i82250C and it works on i82250. On i82250C the value of
dev.fxp.0.bundle_max is irrelevant, the i82250C always needs ca. 91000
irq's for the netperf test. The same number of irq's needs the i82250
with bundle_max=1, but when I set bundle_max=6 (the default), then the
number of irq's for the same test goes down to 91000/7 = 13000.

Regards

Andreas Longwitz