Date:      Sat, 6 Oct 2001 08:25:02 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "M. Attan" <mrattan@home.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mounting ext2 filesystems?

M. Attan <mrattan@home.com> types:
> The disk of configuration files that I made used the ext2 files system.
> I am now having trouble mounting it on the FreeBSD system.
> I made a mount point in /root:
> /root/floppy
> I originally tried:
> mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /root/floppy

As you discovered, that's wrong.

> Which gave me the following error message:
> mount: exec mount_ext not found in /sbin, /usr/sbin:No such file or
> directory.
> So, I figured that there was no support for ext2 in the default install,
> which I thought odd, so downloaded e2fsprogs-1.22.
> I installed it with pkg_add.
> After installing it, I realized that I had issued the improper mount
> command, so I immediately uninstalled with pkg_delete.
> I now tried:
> mount -t ext2fs /dev/fd0 /root/floppy
> This gives me the following message:
> ext2fs: vfsload(ext2fs): No such file or directory.

> Did I screw something up when I installed e2fsprogs-1.22?

No.

> Would my second mount command have worked if I hadn't installed and
> uninstalled it before trying -t ext2fs?

No.

> Should I now go ahead an install e2fsprogs-1.22?

Yes.

> Is there some aspect of mounting ext2 filesystems under FreeBSD which I
> am unaware of?

Yes. You have to build a custom kernel - which is recommended for
FreeBSD - with the EXT2FS option enabled. See
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT for information in that. After you build,
and boot that kernel, the second mount command should work.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.