Date:      Sat, 3 Jan 1998 09:59:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Clapper <bmc@WillsCreek.COM>
To:        grobin@accessv.com
Cc:        Rudy Gireyev <rgireyev@yahoo.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't Access Apache Manual Files

On 3 January, 1998, at 08:39 (-0500)
Geoffrey Robinson <grobin@accessv.com> wrote:

> Okay, it's in the path.
> Actually I think the problem may be that the Apache manual files just
> aren't there. In /usr/apache/man I get the listing
>
> cat1                  cat9                    man4
> cat2                  catl                    man5
> cat3                  catn                    man6
> cat4                  de_DE.ISO_8859-1        man7
> cat5                  ja_JP.EUC               man8
> cat6                  man1                    man9
> cat7                  man2                    manl
> cat8                  man3                    mann
>
> This is the same listing I get in /usr/local/man but when I do
>    #ls -Rl /usr/apache/man >list
> and look at list in vi I discover that there are no files in the
> /usr/apache/man tree, only a bunch of empty directories and
> subdirectories. I looked in the apache build directories for the help
> files but I couldn't find anything. Do you know where I can get them and
> where to copy them to? Is it possible that they where accidentally left
> out of the apache-current port?

To my knowledge, there *are* no man pages for Apache, and never have been;
all the docs are HTML.  I have the full source distribution for Apache
1.3b2 (only one beta release behind the current one of 1.3b3).  There's not
a single man page in the distribution.

Furthermore, the prebuilt Apache FreeBSD packages don't install any docs
(HTML or otherwise)--at least, not the ones on my 2.2.5-RELEASE CD-ROM.
Likewise, the package list (PLIST) files for the ports on that CD-ROM don't
list any docs, and the Makefile doesn't install them.

I recommend that you extract one of the ports (say, `apache-current' or
`apache'), then `cd' to directory `work/apache*/htdocs/manual'.  In that
directory, you'll find the complete HTML documentation for
Apache--essentially the same docs that you find on the Apache home page,
`http://www.apache.org'.
-----
Brian Clapper, bmc@WillsCreek.COM, http://WWW.WillsCreek.COM/
Be regular and orderly in your life so that you may be violent and original
in your work.
        -- Gustave Flaubert