Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 03:36:28 +0400 (MSD)
From:      "Alexey M. Zelkin" <phantom@cris.net>
To:        nik@freebsd.org (Nik Clayton)
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Default FDP docs installation directory?

hi,

> > > includes the standard BSD documentation, and the FreeBSD specific
> > > stuff, such as the FAQ and the Handbook.
> >
> > > The Makefile's I've committed so far install the docs in to

> > Why /usr/local/share/doc ? Only ports documentation is going there as I
> > remember.  Really I don't see any reason to install documentation to new
> > location, because of it's not 3rd party product docs.
>
> Isn't it?  It's not tightly integrated into the system any more, and I'm
> wary of anything trying to install in /usr/share/ that's not part of the
> main src/ tree.
You want to say that doc/ was splited from src/ because -core took
decision about deintegration docs from main system ? Or maybe FreeBSD will
be distributed without doc dist ? What exactly you mean by "not integrated
into system anymore" ? Documentation is required part of FreeBSD distribution.
That's why it will be stored in /usr/share/doc. /usr/local already meant
optional staff, localy installed staff.

Isn't it ?

> > Next point: if we're still using /usr/share/doc we need not to
> > add new entity - "fdp". I sure that it's better to enter
> >
> > $ lynx file:///usr/share/doc/en/
> >
> > than
> >
> > $ lynx file:///usr/local/share/doc/fdp/en/
> >
> > First is more intuitive, I think.
>
> If the sysadmin wants this as local policy they can enforce it with a
> symlink (possibly as a selectable option in doc/Makefile, to make the
> link automatically).

He'll have source tree to do it. Or docs now ships with Makefiles ?
Almost FreeBSD users runing with -RELEASE, I think. Such kind of
documentation - FAQ/handbook is more dedicated to newbie/non-professional
users than professionals. Therefore we'll do it so as simple for users.

--
Sincerely Yours,   | phantom@crimea.edu      (primary)
Alexey Zelkin      | phantom@scorpion.crimea.ua (home)