Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 12:43:34 -0400
From:      Christopher Sedore <cmsedore@maxwell.syr.edu>
To:        "'Alfred Perlstein'" <bright@wintelcom.net>, "'arch@freebsd.org'" <arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: MORE: Re: kblob discussion.

[...]

>Last night I started thinking about making kblob more flexible,
>here's the problem I came across:
>
>All the papers that have been given to me make sure that once a
>0 copy buffer is shared across subsystems it is immutable until
>the data it's loaned has gone back to no references except by
>the user process.
>
>Not following the above system is _wrong_.

I'm not sure I would put that level of emphasis on _wrong_.    It deserves
that level of emphasis if it can cause kernel state (or other system)
corruption (which should be reason for _wrong_, though I'd call this a
problem with implementation more than anything else).  If the
user/application can only screw up its own data/connections (in the sense of
undefined, possibly random data being sent/written), then why not state that
modifying the data causes undefined results (including TCP checksum errors,
whatever else) and let the programmer beware.

-Chris