Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 2017 08:13:08 -0400
From:      Jordan Caraballo <jordancaraballo87@gmail.com>
To:        Navdeep Parhar <nparhar@gmail.com>
Cc:        =?UTF-8?Q?Olivier_Cochard=2DLabb=C3=A9?= <olivier@freebsd.org>,  FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, John Jasen <jjasen@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: state of packet forwarding in FreeBSD?

Hi guys,

We tried multiple attempts to implement netmap vale-ctl and bridge in
chelsio vcxl* interfaces. The most interesting attempts, are mentioned
below.

First Attempt: Ran "./bridge vcxl0 vcxl1"; but it would complain about
having a 0 burst size. Added "-b 1024" to the command as recommended by
the log from the script, but the issue was still present.

Second Attempt: Tried to combine vale-ctl and bridge by:
# ./vale -h vale0:vcxl0
# ./vale -h vale0:vcxl1
# ./bridge vale0:1 vale0:3

There was no error, however, traffic did not flow at the time of
shooting packets to the interfaces.

Third Attempt: By following this email
threadhttps://lists.openinfosecfoundation.org/pipermail/oisf-users/2015-Oct=
ober/005310.html;
we ran:
# ./vale-ctl -n b0
# ./vale-ctl -n b1
# ./vale-ctl -a vale0:b0
# ./vale-ctl -a vale0:vcxl0
# ./vale-ctl -a vale1:b1
# ./vale-ctl -a vale1:vcxl1
# ./bridge -i netmap:vcxl0 -i netmap:vcxl1

Same result as before, no errors, yet no traffic in the interfaces.

Any feedback or advice on why traffic is not flowing?

We would like to note that throwing packets to the vcxl interfaces
without any netmap aware application ranges from 1.1M to 1.2M pps.

Is this supposed to happen? (We consider that still, the number is quite lo=
w)

- Jordan