Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2001 16:51:35 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Thierry Black" <thierryblack@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thanks and another question

Thierry Black <thierryblack@hotmail.com> types:
>      Now I have a different one. does anyone here use unix scripting tools
> to create documents, and then convert to ps? How does the process work in
> general terms? I've heard of tools like Latex, but I can't seem to find much
> good information. i guess I'm looking for a good starting point and maybe
> some examples. Is this freebsd related? If there is a more appropirate
> forum, please suggest.

Well, I guess I qualify. I write scripts that generate PS for special
purposes, and usually start with a small amount of user data that
could be called a document. If you're talking about that level of
thing, you need to be able to write postscript, and the only way I to
learn that is with the Adobe books on the subject. On the other hand,
if you're talking about LaTeX, that's not what you're talking about.

Quoting the latex port description: "LaTeX is a TeX macro package."
TeX is a typesetting package. You mark up ascii text in your favorite
word processor, send it through TeX, and it spits out postscript.
Well, it provided postscript I was using it; it may be able to do
other things as well. The various smart printer filters know how to
deal with it, and will run that process for you

There are lots of scripts for converting documents to/from LaTeX in
the ports you can use as examples if that's what you're looking for.

	<mike