Date:      Tue, 28 May 1996 09:22:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
To:        Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, Fred Condo <fred@lightside.com>, Adam Leff <adam@lightside.com>
Subject:   Re: Mac Linux: Nothing to worry about :-)

> I was very disappointed with the DR1 release of MkLinux for PowerMac.

I said it before and i'll say it again: MkLinux is a very popular OS
(linux) running as a "server" on an OS no one cares about or likes (Mach)
from a company that is rapidly becoming irrelevant (Apple). The Mach and
Apple pieces are trying to ride the popularity of Linux. I think they're
going to fail.

You shouldn't be surprised if it's slow. OS servers on Mach have always
been slow and probably always will be. Or, as someone working on such
a server once said to me:

Performance: it sucks
Reliability: it sucks

This is a guy who gets *paid* to do Mach.

> The question is:  Would it be best to build a BSD "personality"

No, no, a thousand times no, unless you want to give BSD a bad name.
Scrap Mach. Use the pmap code etc. but don't waste your time on that
kernel.

ron