Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 09:06:39 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        jack <jack@diamond.xtalwind.net>
Cc:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>, FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Needed: Info on shells and script writing

--------------268F6ED340E8F7AEBD8F544D

> I have seven boxen with tcsh as the root shell and entering single user
> mode they all prompt for a shell, offering sh as the default.

That might be the case on FreeBSD.  But I do remember some naive SunOS 4 system
admins who changed root's shell to /usr/local/bin/tcsh ... and then their
/usr/local partition went bad. It could've been easily fsck'd from single user
mode, but booting from CD-ROM was their only recourse.

Considering that documentation even explicitly written for FreeBSD is read by
non-FreeBSD users, Annelise's advice is still good.  (And that does happen:
after writing the Printing chapter for the handbook, with explicit "FreeBSD"s
appearing everywhere, I still get email questions asking how to do such-and-such
with the System V spooler and how in DOS the print devices are LPT1: and not
/dev/lpt0, etc.)

--k

--------------268F6ED340E8F7AEBD8F544D

begin:          vcard
fn:             Sean Kelly
n:              Kelly;Sean
org:            CIRA/NOAA
adr:            NOAA/OAR/ERL/FSL/SDD R/E/FS4;;325 Broadway;Boulder;Colorado;80303;USA
email;internet: kelly@fsl.noaa.gov
title:          Research Coordinator
tel;work:       303.497.6247
tel;fax:        303.497.7256