Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 2002 15:21:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        "Matt O'Brien" <m___o___b@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Laptop

On Sat, 8 Jun 2002, Bill Moran wrote:

> Matt O'Brien wrote:
> >      I have a question.  I am not 100% certain but
> > have a good enough idea.  I just want to know which
> > version of FreeBSD I need to install on my P100, 16MB
> > RAM Acer Laptop.  I do NOT have a CD ROM drive -- only
> > a standard 1.44" floppy drive and also don't have a
> > NIC :(
>
> I don't see why you couldn't run the most recent, 4.5.
> How much RAM does it have? 8meg is required.

I thought 12MB were now required for installation?  But
I think he says he has 16.

> >      Also, what kind of installation will I need to
> > perform?  A 1.44" floppy disk installation??  Do I
> > just need the mfsroot.flp and kern.flp ?  Are there
> > any others I need?
>
> Oh sheese ... you'll need to do a floppy install.

There's always an install from DOS, if it's running
Windows with a fat partition of some kind.

> Read the installation instructions in the handbook.
> Floppy installs are slow, tedious, and frustrating. I
> did it with 3.x a few years ago because I had a lappy
> without CD ROM as well.
> Take my advice, if your time is worth anything, purchase
> a NIC for the lappy and save your time and sanity.
> Otherwise, you're looking at using 30+ floppies to do
> the install.  My experience showed that about 10% of the
> floppies didn't work right and had to be recreated.  Like
> I said, slow, tedious, and frustrating.

You can install over a modem (although not a WinModem)--

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC