Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 02:14:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
To:        nmace85@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why FreeBSD over Redhat Linux?

Nathan Mace writes:

> as a recent convert from linux to freebsd...i can give you MANY reasons
>
> 1) RPM's suck....plain and simple.  the ports collection beats RPM in
> every way

Huh? The RPM system seems to work fine. Commonly people complain
about using random RPM files off the net, but hey, that is like
complaining that FreeBSD ports don't work so great on NetBSD.
You can even get source RPM files, if you feel the urge to waste
some CPU time.

That said, Linux isn't stuck with RPMs. Here is how I upgrade a
system with Debian to the very latest stuff:

apt-get update     # download the latest package listing
apt-get upgrade    # download and install anything that changed

To install package "foo", I just do "apt-get install foo".
By default I get PGP-signed binaries, but I could opt for
source code instead.

> 2) the only way to upgrade from redhat 7.1 to 7.2(when it comes out)
> is to wipe out everything and re-install.

No, Red Hat supports an upgrade install. You boot from the CD-ROM,
then tell the install program to do an upgrade instead of a fresh
install. You MUST NOT try to upgrade from a pile of loose RPMs!
Hmmm, I'm guessing that this is exactly what you did.

If you would like to upgrade a live Linux system, you need to be
running Debian. In that case, even /sbin/init and the C library
may be fully upgraded without a reboot.

> 3)last week we had a webserver crash(hardware failure) it was running
> redhat 5.2.  we got a new hardrive, installed redhat 7.1 and guess
> what?  between 5.2 and 7.1 they changed the filesystem so that the old
> version couldn't read the newer version.  i'm not sure if this was
> linux in general or redhat specifally.

It's the same with BSD, in case you didn't know. Old versions of BSD
can not read newer UFS filesystems due to the file type code feature.
Elsewhere: MacOS got HFS+, Windows got FAT32 and NTFS, IRIX got XFS,
AIX and OS/2 got a new JFS... An upgrade may have new features, OK?
What a strange "problem" to be complaining about!

> 4) ever tried to understand RH's /etc stucture?  talk about symlink
> heaven

This is the one true UNIX way. Red Hat looks pretty much like Solaris,
UnixWare, IRIX, HP-UX, and every other real UNIX. Either RTFM, or just
use the tksysv program to manage your run levels.