Date:      Mon, 26 Dec 2005 11:07:45 +0800
From:      Yuan Jue <yuanjue02@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wireless NIC in FreeBSD 6.0 ?

On Sunday 25 December 2005 23:15, Erik N=F8rgaard wrote:
> Yuan Jue wrote:
> > one more question
> > since I use a fixed IP address in my dormitory and a dynamic IP address
> > in the classroom or library, i need to change my local NIC configure fr=
om
> > time to time. In fact, I use the fixed IP address as my default setting,
> > which is as follows:
> >
> > what is the right way to do it? or is there any better solution for my
> > situation?
>
> Try to take a look at dhclient.conf(5) and dhclient(8) and set all
> interfaces to be configured with dhcp. I think it should be posible to
> configure default values so there is something to fall back on if a
> lease is not obtained.
>
> Note that dhclient is new in FBSD 6, this is also why you had to take
> down the other interface. The old dhclient would reset all dhcp
> configured interfaces, the new doesn't, which is quite neat because
> usually you would have the two interfaces connected to /different/
> networks.

thanks for your explanations about DHCP in FreeBSD 6.0, although I
still cannot find a way to config dhclient.conf to solve my problem :)

instead, I figure out another way to work around.

1.ifconfig bge0 delete
% this would shut my local NIC down totally

2.kldload if_ath
   dhclient ath0

then I can enjoy the wireless internet surfing :)

antway, thank you again!

=2D-=20
Best Regards.
Yuan Jue