Date:      Fri, 05 Apr 2002 09:59:24 -0800
From:      Marc Hunter <hunter@hunter.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Newbie: Telnet and FTP reverse DNS

I am continually plagued by somewhat random delays due to reverse lookup
issues with the standard FreeBSD telnet and ftp (sometimes the ISP DNS
returns promptly, sometimes it does the timeout thing...).  Every answer I
can fine online to this question seems to be: Set up a DNS or tweak your
hosts file.  I'm not interested in running a DNS, and it's a pain to
maintain the hosts file...

So my question is: Why does FTP and Telnet go through this whole
rigamarole?  It seems to me (in my ignorance) to be redundant and
unnecessary seeing as it lets me in whether it succeeds or
fails....  Shouldn't this just be disabled?  Or at very least, shouldn't
there be an easy configuration option to disable it?  Maybe there is and I
just can't find it?

Rgds,

Marc