Date:      Tue, 05 Jan 2010 14:45:05 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Binary packages for releases and portupgrade

Martin Cracauer wrote:
> Doug Barton wrote on Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 01:58:57PM -0800:
> Are you saying there are binary packages for 8-stable?
>
> I thought I can only have them for -RELEASE?

There have always been binary packages for the -stable branches. For
example check out ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/.

> RELENG_8 will lift be out of binary ports, at least as far as
> portupgrade is concerned.

Sorry, I don't understand that sentence.

> RELENG_8_0 will have emergency fixes AFAIK

I'm sorry, that's not correct. RELENG_8_0 is a fixed point in time.
The 8.0 -p1 security branch will be RELENG_8_1, etc.

> and I was hoping that I
> could run that and make portupgrade to the right thing (recognize the
> binary packages a insert them appropriately).

If you run a -RELEASE portupgrade will stick to the packages created
for the -RELEASE, and will never change. If you intend to follow the
ports tree as it updates you should really be following FreeBSD
stable, and portupgrade will do the right thing.

> If we have binary packages for 8-stable and/or if I can coerce
> portupgrade to use 8-release packages on 8-stable that would be fine,
> too.

If you want 8-release packages, you don't have to do anything
different, those packages will never change.

hope this helps,

Doug

			-- Pablo Picasso