Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 1997 19:29:21 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert <cy@cwsys.cwent.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.dk.tfs.com>
Cc:        Jason Fesler <jfesler@calweb.com>, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: changing password...

> In message <3.0.1.32.19970215160537.006e1dec@pop.calweb.com>, Jason Fesler wr
ites:
> >At 11:48 PM 2/15/97 +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> >>
> >>Why don't we have an option for /usr/bin/passwd to input a precoded
> >>password ?
> >
> >Hmm, I thought that's what we use chpass for ... :-)
> >It is willing to take a command-line encrypted password for
> >the argument.  I'm using it on a www password change routine.
>
> Yes, but only root can use the -p option on chpass, right ?

Why not create an optional setuid root front end to chpass that does this.
A simple Perl script would suffice. Why make the base code more complex
when we don't need to?

UNIX Support                   OV/VM:  BCSC02(CSCHUBER)
ITSD                          BITNET:  CSCHUBER@BCSC02.BITNET
Government of BC            Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
                                       cschuber@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca

                "Quit spooling around, JES do it."