Date:      Sat, 17 Dec 2005 17:04:03 -0700
From:      Daniel Hanson <dhanson@securityfocus.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 6, WPA-PSK, wpa_supplicant and a IBM a31p

Ok, I've exhausted a FreeBSD phanatic friend of mine, and spent quite a while trying different configurations to get this working, and am coming up against a brick wall.

I am attempting to setup a Thinkpad a31p with a built in wireless card, it uses the wi driver. The output of dmesg
=-=-
wi0: <Intersil Prism2.5> mem 0xf8000000-0xf8000fff irq 11 at device 2.0 on pci2
wi0: using RF:PRISM2.5 MAC:ISL3874A(Mini-PCI)
wi0: Intersil Firmware: Primary (1.0.7), Station (1.3.6)
wi0: Ethernet address: 00:20:e0:8c:ea:87
=-=-

It will happily chatter unencrypted, but, well, I would rather have wpa-psk on my home setup. so, after following the various man pages, handbook pages, and some webpages I am currently doing the following.

Boot
kldload wlan_wep wlan_acl wlan_ccmp wlan_tkip ( Ihave also loaded wlan_xauth under some config attempts although nothign I have read indicates this is required)
/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf contains

=-=-=-
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1 ####I have tried ap_scan=2 more details below
fast_reauth=1

network={
        ssid="my_ssid"
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        psk="my_passphrase"
}
=-=-=-

When I start wpa_supplicant, it seems to find the SSID, and then nothign... no errors, no nothing, I have the debug enabled output of the wpa_supplicant -dd command that I can include as a text file, but it is a little long (due to teh ping and commands issued from wpa_cli).

At one point, I tried changing ap_scan=1 to ap_scan=2, as someone had posted they had done. I saw immediate (well once I reinitiated teh wpa_supplicant command) results. All of a sudden, it found, and as best as I can tell, tried to negotiate. but threw out the following error.

=-=-=-
wpa_driver_bsd_associate: ssid 'myssid' wpa ie len 22 pairwise 3 group 3 key mgmt 1
wpa_driver_bsd_associate:

ioctl[SIOCS80211, op 21 len 42] invalid request
association request to the driver failed
=-=-=-

The AP uses WPA-PSK(TKIP), I have tried it with the network directive including proto as WPA and WPA2, key_mgmt as TKIP, pairwise as TKIP, and probably a few other things I am currently forgeting.

Thoughts, ideas? directions. From my reading of the man pages, ap_scan should only ever be 1, and the others are used for other OS's, which might explain the error that I am receiving when it's set to 2. I am at a dead end of where I can look to further investigate.