Date:      Tue, 07 Jul 1998 12:21:09 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: unattended install

> I brought up unattended install at theo's talk on openbsd, and got
> something of a brushoff (understandable: they had done 40-ish machines in
> short order for the terminal room, so it did not seem necessary to them).

Ow.  (The brushoff, not the terminal room.)

We have actually supported unattended installs for some time through
sysinstall's scripting support.  If there's an install.cfg file in the
boot image MFS, it's run straight away.  This lets you do everything
that sysinstall handles, fully automatically.

About the only missing item here is BOOTP/DHCP, granted.

> So for you good hackers out there who may be thinking on install tools,
> please give a thought to the need for unattended install.

Thanks for the reminder, and thanks for the description of how you're
currently doing things.  Your input's always appreciated, and I expect
to hear more of it.  8)