Date:      Sun, 16 Jun 2002 19:43:01 -0500
From:      David Syphers <dsyphers@uchicago.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   parallel port zip drive

I recently had to dig my 100MB parallel port zip drive out of the closet.
This thing used to be easy to set up, but I'm having lots of difficulty now
(I haven't used it since 3.x, and I'm running 4.6-R now).

I have scbus, ppbus, da, and vpo in my kernel.  When I boot I get

vpo0: <Iomega Matchmaker Parallel to SCSI interface> on ppbus0

and at the end of the dmesg several lines of

vpo0: VP0 error/timeout (5)

When I try to mount it nonetheless, it claims da0s4 is not configured.
Turning on VP0_DEBUG is not much more enlightening - a series of

vpo0: VP0 error/timeout (2)
vpo0: XPT_PATH_INQ request
vpo0: XPT_SCSI_IO (0x12) request
vpo_do_scsi = 0, status = 0x0, count = 36, vpo_error = 2
12 0 0 0 24 0

arises.  I wrote the original FAQ entry on how to set these things up - but
now I'm either missing something really obvious or the zip drive support has
substantially worsened.  That or there's some conflict somewhere that I'm not
seeing.  Any ideas?

-David

--
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand...

Astronomy and Astrophysics Center
The University of Chicago