Date:      Sun, 28 Apr 2002 13:03:11 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        "David S. Jackson" <deepbsd@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make installkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL?

David S. Jackson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a little confused by the instructions in chapter 9 of the handbook
> on the "new" way to make/install a new kernel:
>
> Note: In FreeBSD 4.2 and older you must replace KERNCONF= with KERNEL=.
> 4.2-STABLE that was fetched after
>      Feb 2nd, 2001 does recognize KERNCONF=.
>
> In the previous example in the explanation, the custom kernel is called
> MYKERNEL, but in the note is it called 4.2-STABLE?  or can it be called
> MYKERNEL?  The note seems a little ambiguous for someone who doesn't
> know explicitly what the note is saying beforehand.  I think it means
>
> make installkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL
>
> but am I right?  Is this line correct?

Up to a point and then I am not sure whether you are lost and
wandering in a desert somewhere. You have to have a file called
MYKERNEL, which started out as a copy of GENERIC. If you need help,
comment out the options you don't want to use. Otherwise, figuring out
a kernel config problem should be a payment required situation.
MYKERNEL's are all named after the computer they are on such as RUBY,
CORAL, JADE, and etc.

The easy way to deal with it is to add something to /etc/make.conf like

KERNCONF=CORAL

Then, all you have to do is "make kernel" and it will build and
install your kernel. I think the chapter in the Handbook covers this
pretty well.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart