Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 2009 13:22:21 +0100
From:      Thomas Backman <serenity@exscape.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, "James R. Van Artsdalen" <james-freebsd-current@jrv.org>
Subject:   Re: Some notes on RootOnZFS article in wiki

On Dec 22, 2009, at 12:48 PM, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:

> "James R. Van Artsdalen" <james-freebsd-current@jrv.org> writes:
>> Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr> writes:
>>> On modern machines, system will boot from the GPT "freebsd-boot"
>>> partition w/o having it active
>> A correctly-written PC BIOS does not even look at (or for) a =
partition
>> table of any sort when booting.  That's been the case for a
>> quarter-century.   A system that does not boot without the active bit
>> set is buggy, not new vs. old.
>=20
> Wrong, wrong, wrong.
>=20
> Some MBRs look for the active bit, some don't.  It doesn't mean =
they're
> buggy; it's a design decision.  FWIW, ours does.
>=20
> Some BIOSes *do* read the partition table; there was an issue some =
years
> ago with ThinkPads that froze at boot if you installed FreeBSD on them
> because they misidentified the FreeBSD partition as a suspend-to-disk
> partition.
>=20
> DES

Surely this doesn't contradict his statements in any way?
He said that a correctly written *BIOS* doesn't look for at a partition =
table; the fact that the FreeBSD MBR does is clearly irrelevant. I took =
"system" to mean hardware/BIOS, by the way.

The fact that some BIOSes do read it and freeze is obviously a bug, =
further strengthening his argument that the BIOS shouldn't care about =
the partition table.
(I have this problem myself; I have two computers with nForce4 chipsets, =
which cannot boot from GPT; if the disk channels aren't set to =
"disabled" in the BIOS, it freezes on POST. You can have GPT storage =
disks, if you disable the channels before plugging the disks in, but it =
won't boot from a disk it doesn't find.)

Regards,
Thomas