Date:      Mon, 12 Dec 2016 15:01:13 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-11 : What TCP/UDP ports does pkg update use?

--rsKqTWPkW8oM1tbnAQrDQhCedlTUlxV0U
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

--RsXEx8heR0klvoVVLC7waMfHCx7GDWD3u

On 2016/12/12 14:26, James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions wrote:
> Experimenting with PF I discover that the pkg utility is being
> blocked.  However, I cannot seem to find any documentation on what
> port(s) pkg is trying to use.  Can someone provide me with a
> reference, please?
>=20
> I know I could install wireshark and just scan for it/them but that
> seems a bit excessive just to obtain the default values.

pkg will communicate with a repository over a network using one or more
of a number of different protocols, depending on how it is configured.
Those protocols include:

   HTTPS
   HTTP
   FTP
   FTPS
   SSH
   NFS

Each of these have well-known port numbers, but, again, depending on
configuration some of these can be overridden to arbitrary port numbers
if required.

Hint: use 'pkg -vv' and look for the 'url' field in the repo.conf

If the URL scheme is 'pkg+something' that indicates a SRV-style lookup,
which can override the normal port numbers, as can an explicitly given
port in a http://example.com:8080/ style URL.

However, if you're using the default /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf, then the
communication protocol is HTTP over port 80.

	Cheers,

	Matthew