Date:      Sun, 11 Jul 2004 16:47:44 -0500
From:      Miguel Cardenas <mfcardenas@prodigy.net.mx>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PATH var and more...

Hello list

Just reinstalled my freebsd, am advancing with installation of programs and
configuration, but still have some details I can't fix...

I've installed MySQL 4.0.20 successfully from source code and programs work
fine, but have still two little "problems"...

1. Can't add /usr/local/mysql/bin to the PATH var from the main
configuration... Tried to add:
   export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/mysql/bin
to /etc/profile, but didn't work. It only works if I send the command through
the bash shell or in $HOME/.profile but /etc/profile does not work... why?
don't want to append it to the .profile of each user!!!

2. MySQL is working fine now, but now that am creating/porting a client
application, once compiled it does not find libmysqlclient.so... tried to
append the path to /etc/ld.so.conf and ld-elf.so.conf and run ldconfig, but
still not found by system when invoking a program that uses it... how can I
add /usr/local/mysql/lib to the libraries path?

Thanks a lot !!!