Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 20:34:58 +0800
From:      Chih-Chang Hsieh <cch@cc.kmu.edu.tw>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, william.paul@windriver.com
Subject:   Has anyone worked with DGE-500SX (lge)?

I have tested the Gigabit Ethernet Card: DGE-500SX with
Nortel Passport 8600 (Layer3 campus core switch) and
IBM 8275-326 (24port 100baseTX + 1port 1000baseSX),
but it fails.

If it links to Nortel Passport 8600 before kernel boots,
the link LED is on. After kernel booting, the link LED is off.

If it links to IBM 8275-326, the link LED is on before and after
kernel booting. But I can not connect to any other hosts on the
same switch.

Has anyone tried it out with anyother switch?

I have also tested DGE-500SX to DGE-500SX, it works.
But its throughput is low, ftp speed is about 14MB/s.
Is this a normal condition?

Could anyone recommend a "better" gigabit NIC?

My two PCs are: PIII 1GHz, 256MB RAM, ATA100 HD, all 32-bits PCI slot.
My OS: FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE

Thanks in advance for any advices.

--
Chih-Chang Hsieh