Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2000 00:32:05 +0100
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        chad@DCFinc.com, jhb@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        dillon@earth.backplane.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Really odd "BTX halted" problem booting FreeBSD on VALinux h

> > I have recently created a disklabel on a slice of an ata disk with
> > disklabel.  Of course i had to create an entry in /etc/disktab to do
> > that, but encountered no other problem.

> Last time I had to do that, I used dd to copy the first couple of
> blocks from a working disk onto the new one, and then used disklabel
> to edit the new one to look like I wanted it.

My way in this case is very similar:

disklabel -r ad0sx >dl
disklabel -R -r adosy dl

where ad0sx is an existing partition, ad0sy the one to create. I think this is
less dangerous than using dd.

> Only took a minute or two to do the work, and an hour or so to
> figure out that's what I had to do.

Youīre a good guy then. There were two weeks between my first attempts to create
a FreeBSD slice in an extended partition and reaching the goal, including many
hexedit sessions to see whatīs going on.
For 4.2 itīs for sure too late, but in the longterm it would be great to have
extended slices supported, as many users (like me) will join BSD from a multi-OS
installation, where it can be hard to get a sufficient primary slice. Linux (and
best thing in this area: BeOS) show, that itīs possible to do so. John, are
there any substantial obstacles in  the design of FreeBSD to achieve this or is
it "just" rewriting fdisk, disklabel, sysinstall and maybe newfs?
I would like to join the work for this, but canīt do this alone: lack of
experience in this area.

Ciao
Siegbert