Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 07:32:25 -0400
From:      "David S. Miller" <davem@jenolan.rutgers.edu>
To:        james@wgold.demon.co.uk
Cc:        perlsta@fang.cs.sunyit.edu, freebsd-hackers@freeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Price of FreeBSD (was On Holy Wars...)

   Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 09:29:08 +0100
   From: James Mansion <james@wgold.demon.co.uk>

   There is an SMP kernel under development.  As there is one for
   Linux.  But neither system has this as the core kernel line and
   neither is finished or robust.

Incorrect, in 2.0.x and even more so in 2.1.x SMP is fully supported
and in the sources for both the Sparc and Intel platform (Alpha coming
soon).  The comment on robustness is pretty much correct although I
use it on all my development boxes, for 2.0.x Sparc SMP is much more
stable, for 2.1.x lately both Intel and Sparc are of similar
stability.  We've threaded the heart of at least a few major
subsystems of the kernel already (scheduler, interrupts, drivers, and
wait queues), we are currently threading the vfs layer and next the
buffer/page caches and networking should come reasonably soon after
that.

Yow! 11.26 MB/s remote host TCP bandwidth & ////
199 usec remote TCP latency over 100Mb/s   ////
ethernet.  Beat that!                     ////
David S. Miller, davem@caip.rutgers.edu /_____________/ / // /_/ ><