Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 1995 19:54:10 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        current@freebsd.org, pete@puffin.pelican.com
Subject:   Re: Getting around conflicts for a driver w/out base address

>>id_alive is the driver-alive flag corrupted to hold the i/o size.  It isn't
>>possible to set it at config time.  Actually, we need a list of i/o port
>>ranges because some drivers use scattered ports.

>Like the S3 chips that step on COM4?  Talk about gratuitous conflicts...

I was thinking more of video cards using a lot of ports that aren't
mentioned in the config, and console drivers accessing a lot of ports
that aren't mentioned in the config: the keyboard port whose base is
mentioned in the config and whose ranges are closer to [0x60,0x60]
and [0x64,0x64] than the [0x60,0x6f] claimed by the driver; the PPI
at 0x61 which is claimed by the driver but which is also used by
several other drivers without claims to it; and the video ports
without claiming them.  It should be possible to support multiple
monitors although the video port ranges overlap.  E.g., one display
driver could claim the color ports only and another could claim the
mono ports only.  This could happen fairly automatically if the
display drivers were careful not to touch claimed ports.  Currently
they have no way to DTRT.  First, they have to probe both the mono
iand color ports because config's port info is limited to giving one
port which is used to specify the keyboard port; second because there
is no mechanism for drivers to check what other drivers have claimed.

Bruce