Date:      Thu, 3 Jun 1999 19:32:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, dyson@iquest.net, Amancio Hasty <ahasty@mindspring.com>, "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, schimken@cs.rpi.edu
Subject:   Re: 3.2-stable, panic #12

>     The biggest mistake that programmers working on a large project make is
>     when they do *not* rewrite portions of the code that need to be rewritten.
>     For a case in point you need look no further then the buffer cache and
>     device I/O code.  It's so messed up that even I could only add hacks to
>     portions of it to implement necessary VM pager functions properly, but
>     I sure do not intend those hacks to remain in there forever!  The I/O
>     subsystem is a holy mess.  The only reason I'm not working on it right now
>     is because I think Poul is intending to work on it later in the year.

Now I'm getting a bit torqued at this. Yes, there are problems here,
but rather than keeping it to yourself what the problems are, how about
being constructive in suggesting ways we can all improve things.

From the tone of your email I take it that only you and others you approve
of could be considered competent to fix this situation. If that's the
case, then indeed you should piss off to somewhere else. Is this what you
meant?