Date:      Sun, 03 Aug 2008 13:52:51 +0200
From:      Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Temperature monitoring on old desktop - Dell OptiPlex SX270?

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 20:19:12 -0700
Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 01:50:53AM +0200, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> The first questions to ask are: 1) does this machine even have a H/W
> monitoring IC on it, and 2) is it enabled/wired to thermistors and
> fans?

Yes, but so far I haven't found out anything by searching.

> What processor is in it?  Not a Core2Duo.  I'm guessing since it's
> circa 2004, probably a Pentium 3 or 4, or possibly an older AMD.

Pentium 4. From dmesg:
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz (2593.51-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf29  Stepping = 9
  Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0x4400<CNXT-ID,xTPR>
  Logical CPUs per core: 2

> None of those, to my knowledge, have on-die temperatures -- they all
> rely on external H/W monitoring.

Ok, so what is the 'TM' feature of this cpu then?
cpuid thinks it is a thermal monitor:
Intel-specific functions:
Version 00000f29:
Type 0 - Original OEM
Family 15 - Pentium 4
Extended family 0
Model 2 - Intel Pentium 4 processor (generic) or newer
Stepping 9
Reserved 0

Brand index: 9 [Intel Pentium 4 processor]
Extended brand string: "              Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz"
CLFLUSH instruction cache line size: 8
Hyper threading siblings: 2

Feature flags: bfebfbff:
FPU    Floating Point Unit
VME    Virtual 8086 Mode Enhancements
DE     Debugging Extensions
PSE    Page Size Extensions
TSC    Time Stamp Counter
MSR    Model Specific Registers
PAE    Physical Address Extension
MCE    Machine Check Exception
CX8    COMPXCHG8B Instruction
APIC   On-chip Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller present and enabled
SEP    Fast System Call
MTRR   Memory Type Range Registers
PGE    PTE Global Flag
MCA    Machine Check Architecture
CMOV   Conditional Move and Compare Instructions
FGPAT  Page Attribute Table
PSE-36 36-bit Page Size Extension
CLFSH  CFLUSH instruction
DS     Debug store
ACPI   Thermal Monitor and Clock Ctrl
MMX    MMX instruction set
FXSR   Fast FP/MMX Streaming SIMD Extensions save/restore
SSE    Streaming SIMD Extensions instruction set
SSE2   SSE2 extensions
SS     Self Snoop
HT     Hyper Threading
TM     Thermal monitor
31     reserved

Feature flags set 2: 00004400:
CID     Context ID
xTPR    Send Task Priority messages

TLB and cache info:
50: Instruction TLB: 4KB and 2MB or 4MB pages, 64 entries
5b: Data TLB: 4KB and 4MB pages, fully assoc., 64 entries
66: 1st-level data cache: 8KB, 4-way set assoc, 64 byte line size
40: No 2nd-level cache, or if 2nd-level cache exists, no 3rd-level cache
70: Trace cache: 12K-micro-op, 4-way set assoc
7b: 2nd-level cache: 512KB, 8-way set assoc, sectored, 64 byte line size

> I just checked http://tingox.googlepages.com/sx270 and sure enough, an
> older P4.  coretemp(4) won't work with this.

I know, I just thought that ther might be something similar for the TM feature of Pentium 4's.

> I would start by booting the machine into Windows and install
> SpeedFan.  If that thing is able to detect and provide thermal data,

Ouch. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to do that. The machine have no internal CD-drive,
and for some reason doesn't want to boot from a (usb) external cd-drive either (kind of funny - it boots from flash drives and external hard drives. But cd-rom -no).

I was hoping to solve this without windows in the picture.

--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen