Date:      Sat, 11 Apr 1998 00:11:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        dwilde1@ibm.net
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the Internet"

> It sounds like there's a lot of enthusiasm and agreement. We even heard
> from both Jordan and John asking for such. Gentlemen (and Sue Blake, et
> al), fire up your EMACS!
>
> PS Press Releases are not magazine copy. Don't mistake them, they have
> different purposes.

I am ignorant about PR, so please recognize this when reading my comments
about such things.

I just want to chime in (again) and suggest showing enthusiasm and
competency.  However, I STRONGLY suggest that we not show arrogance
or an excessively superior attitude.  We have so many good things
on our side (including being very reasonable and careful with our
claims.)  Let's be extremely enthusiastic, and at the same time
being very honest about what we are and aren't.  Credibility is
critical, and that is one of our major assets.  We don't use
terms like 'Kewl' and 'rulz', even though we have users and developers
of all age groups.  We all try to chip-in, and don't have any sort of
cult of personality.

I think that we all want to be a part of a "class act".  (For non
native American English speakers, that means that we maintain ourselves
with both concern for others, and also maintain high standards for
ourselves, both ethically and try not to show excessive judgement of
others personally.)  With the relatively centralized development,
all of the various contributors and developers have a sense of
ownership.  This lends a craftmanship quality to our efforts.

We all want our project to endure, and I am sure we also have no
delusions of "taking over the world", or imposing our personal
beliefs on others.  I hope that this new movement in FreeBSD takes
on the challenge of publicizing the project with a positive and
non-confrontational message.  We need to maintain the same high
standards in our evangelism as we try to in our development!!!

My hope is that the project will be perceived as a class-act
without any sort of snobbery, and very inclusive.  IMO, we all
need to get this message out.

John