Date:      Thu, 8 Oct 2009 11:51:00 -0400
From:      Jerry <gesbbb@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ion windows manager on FreeBSD

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 11:19:00 -0300
"Carlos A. M. dos Santos" <unixmania@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 01:25:35PM -0300, Carlos A. M. dos Santos
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> You can fork the code, rename it, whatever, but you can NOT change
> >> the license without explicit permission from the original copyright
> >> owner. That would be legally considered theft!
> >
> > Incorrect.  It would be legally considered copyright infringement.
> > Copyright law is not property law, and both different laws *and*
> > different terms apply.  "Theft" is not a term legally applied to
> > copyright infringement -- at least, in any jurisdiction of which
> > I'm even vaguely aware of the state of copyright law.
> >
> > "That would be legally considered copyright infringement!"
>
> I was referring to stealing intellectual property, which can be a
> synonym of copyright violation, depending on the country law. In my
> country, for instance, computer programs are considered intellectual
> property but they are also subjected to author rights, just like books
> and paintings [1,2] .
>
> > There.  I fixed it for you.
>
> Thanks for the clarification, anyway.
>

> References (in Portuguese)
>
> [1] http://www.planalto.gov.br/ccivil_03/Leis/L9609.htm
> [2] http://www.planalto.gov.br/ccivil_03/Leis/L9610.htm

Is there any legitimate reason that this thread is continually
cross-posted on both freebsd-questions and freebsd-ports? Choose one or
the other.

--
Jerry
gesbbb@yahoo.com

It's only by NOT taking the human race seriously that I retain
what fragments of my once considerable mental powers I still possess.

	Roger Noe