Date:      Fri, 01 Apr 2005 08:50:02 +0200
From:      peter@bgnett.no (Peter N. M. Hansteen)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with PF

Pat Maddox <pergesu@gmail.com> writes:

> FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p5.  I'm not sure how to check the pf version.

One possible source of trouble is running pf from ports on 5.3-release
or newer. That could happen if you were running, say, 5.2.something with
the port, upgraded your system to 5.3 but left the port in place.

> I just started getting this error a couple days ago, and I've got
> absolutely no clue why.  I don't recall making any significant changes
> to the box.

That probably takes care of the incompatible port theory, then.
Strange.  The error message looks like the network interface has not
been properly configured.