Date:      Mon, 20 May 2002 11:29:04 +0200
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
To:        "'Coffin, Dexter'" <idnopheq@comcast.net>
Cc:        alpha <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: [Fwd: Re: Java 2 !]

Dear Dexter,

> With many thanks to Andrew Gallatin and Roberto de Iriarte, I got the
> Compaq Java 2 running and wrapped it up with javavmwrapper while
> watching the Red Wings take their series against the Blues.

You could consider reworking your steps into a port... :-)

> Now I'll ask another question.  With the ability to run Linux
> Java, what
> steps are required to get the native JDK (say 1.3) to compile?  IIRC,
> the i386 port requires linux-java to build the native java, so that
> hurdle ~might~ be leaped.

There is a rather outdated HOWTO on my web site. http://kjkoster.org/java/ I
am planning to update my pages, but real work(tm) gets in the way. I hope
you find some useful reading under the layers of dust.

Having a bootstrapping JDK is only one step. The next step is to get the
build process running and to get the whole thing to compile. I think you
should be able to get the stage 1 compiler built. That's as far as I got,
IIRC. The stage 1 compiler then dies when it's first called (well, whaddaya
expect) and that's where you really have to start doing some work.

On the bright side, great care has been taken to make the patch sets clean
enough so that they will work regardless of OS (FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD)
and processor architecture.

If you are really serious about porting the JDK to Alpha, subscribe to
-java. You can mail your suggested patches there and you will find people
such as Nate, Greg and Bill happy to help you out if you get stuck.

> If this REALLY should be directed to the freebsd-java list, let me
> know.  From monitoring that list, they seem more focused on i386 right
> now.

Actually, that is only due to the fact that more people work on i386 than on
alpha. Informally, the list is being used for all three free BSD's and I'm
sure you are welcome with alpha related questions. You may need to consult
both -alpha and -java to get a good answer, though.

    Kees Jan