Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2006 18:46:03 -0500
From:      parv@pair.com
To:        Graham Bentley <gbentley@uk2.net>
Cc:        f-q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: WiFi Woes !

in message <001501c7117e$0d429f90$1c07a8c0@CPC>,
wrote Graham Bentley thusly...

> > Have tried 'route add 192.168.7.1' and editting rc.conf by hand
> > to no avail.
>
> can now ping router however cannot ping external addresses even by
> ip ... maybe I messed up by playing with 'route add' ?  How do I
> check that or put it back to install defaults ?

Check the routes by netstat(1) with options "-rn" (-r option to lists
the routing tables; -n option to list only the IP addresses, not host
names).  Below is the output on my machine (without localhost) ...

  #  netstat -rn | grep -v '127.0.0.'
  Routing tables

  Internet:
  Destination        Gateway            Flags    Refs      Use  Netif Expire
  default            192.168.2.1        UGS         0     6903   iwi0
  192.168.2          link#1             UC          0        0   iwi0
  192.168.2.1        00:04:e2:7c:c0:ca  UHLW        2       61   iwi0    511

Route can be changed first by deleteing it by running route(1) with
command "delete" (specify a route to delete) or "flush" (remove all
the routes).

Set "defaultrouter" in /etc/rc.conf with the value of IP address of
your router to avoid manually running route(1).  I have ...

  #  grep defaultrouter /etc/rc.conf ...
  defaultrouter="192.168.1.1"

For more information, see respective man pages, and FreeBSD Handbook,
in particular ...

  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/config-network-setup.html
  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-routing.html

  - Parv