Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:40:00 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        raj@semihalf.com
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MMC cards support

In message: <4766E845.50304@semihalf.com>
            Rafal Jaworowski <raj@semihalf.com> writes:
: Stanislav Sedov wrote:
: > On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 04:16:35PM +0100 Rafal Jaworowski mentioned:
: >> We're probably getting a bit OT here, but just to clarify U-Boot networking
: >> model of operation that was mentioned: MAC address is usually programmed by a
: >> U-Boot network controller driver into relevant h/w registers upon every
: >> network access, so provided a given interface was used at least once in U-Boot
: >> (whatever net command), it should have the MAC addresss programmed correctly
: >> when running in the kernel. Otherwise it is left untouched, which happens in
: >> most of the cases with multiple integrated controllers -- usually only the
: >> first one gets ever used, others are left unconfigured...
: >>
: >
: > Well, I downloaded the entire kernel via tftp, so the controller was probably
: > configured correctly. Probably, u-boot resets it after transfer (have not checked
: > this yet).
: >
:
: Typically U-Boot would not reset the MAC address, at least I'm not aware of
: any net driver there that would do so. I had a look at AT91 net driver and the
: whole picture is quite confusing:
:
: - U-Boot net driver programs the address into EMAC_SA2L/EMAC_SA2H
: - FreeBSD/arm tries to retrieve it from ETH_SA1L/ETH_SA1H
:
: I don't know AT91 family, so am not sure which one should be used and where
: the above disconnect comes from (some byte ordering confusion?), but this
: might be the direct cause of your troubles..

Hmmm, We got a patch to look at all the SAxL/H pairs for an address.
I thought it was crazy to do that, but if uboot does this for some
reason, then I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong and add the
extra bits back.

Warner