Date:      03 Feb 2001 16:10:19 +0000
From:      Robert Inder <R.Inder@ed.ac.uk>
To:        "G D McKee" <freebsd@gdmckee.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, richard@interactive.co.uk
Subject:   Re: Telewest Cable and FreeBSD

Well, the good news is that there is gold at the end of the rainbow: I
have had a freeBSD machine taling to a telewest cable modem for
a good number of months now, and it does "go".

"G D McKee" <freebsd@gdmckee.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> Got my NIC set-up for DHCP in /etc/rc.conf.  When the machine fires up I get
> the following error when trying to obtain a DHCP lease.
>
> kursk# dhclient ep0
> ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCDIFADDR): Can't assign requested address

I noticed you doing this as a command, so I tried it, so see what message
I got.

I got no message at all, just a prompt back.

Then, about 20 seconds later, the machine re-booted!
           ((/var/log/messages available if anyone wants to investigate))

> I have no firewall or anything in place.  /etc/hosts has ALL:ALL:ALLOW in it
> at the top.

> Gordon
> PS Robert - I was put in contact with you from Richard Tobin.

He helped with/did much of the setup on Auk.

If there any files you want to look at for you, let me know...

Robert.

__
|_)obert Inder,                         (http://www.hcrc.ed.ac.uk/~robert/)
| \ Research Fellow, AIAI,                      (http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/)
    University of Edinburgh    80, South Bridge, Edinburgh EH1 1HN SCOTLAND