Date:      Sat, 19 Oct 2002 12:00:13 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        Shawn Lussier <project10@alpha.focalnetworks.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't 'make depend' when trying to build kernel source

Kent Stewart wrote:

> Shawn Lussier wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I've recently cvsupped my source tree to 4.7-R in anticipation of
>> upgrades
>> to these systems. On one, in particular, I cannot rebuild the kernel --
>> when I run 'make depend', I get the following message:
>>
>> cc -c -O -pipe -mcpu=pentiumpro -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs
>> -Wstrict-prototypes  -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline
>> -Wcast-qual  -fformat-extensions -ansi  -nostdinc -I- -I. -I../..
>> -I../../../include -I../../contrib/ipfilter  -D_KERNEL -include
>> opt_global.h -elf  -mno-align-long-strings -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2
>> -ffreestanding ../../i386/i386/genassym.c
>>
>> cc1: Invalid option `no-align-long-strings'
>>
>> The system currently stands at version 4.3-R-p22, and the compiler is
>> 'gcc
>> version 2.95.4 20020320 [FreeBSD]'. I have also tried building with gcc
>> 3.2 to no avail (same message).
>>
>> Can anyone provide some insight as to probable causes? I have never run
>> into this problem before. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
>>

> No buildworld first.

What I really intended to add was not doing a buildkernel after the
buildworld. Make depend is not really a choice on upgrades like this.
You will also have a number of users to add to master.passwd before
the installworld will work. This is all covered in /usr/src/UPDATING.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA