Date:      Sun, 20 Dec 1998 11:10:14 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>, "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sun Source Code?

At 05:14 PM 12/20/98 +0100, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:
>On 20-Dec-98 Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
>>> Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 10:42:55 -0500
>>> From: Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
>>>
>>> I don't get where they can sell copies of Solaris for 10 bucks either..
>>> Very odd company, Sun is.
>>
>>   get solaris in the hands of as many people as possible.  get them
>>   used to it and wanting to use it.  when their needs grow, sell them
>>   sun hardware.  anything to compete against microsoft.
>
>Well, I have used all kinds of Sun hardware when I was still studying and I
>have
>to say, a SparcStation is not bad... And since we have a architecture port of
>FreeBSD coming/available ;)

Problem is, Sun hardware is uncharted territory for me.  I don't know what
would work for my application, which is about 3 heavy duty Netscape
servers.  The PII-333 128mb that I have running NT 4 Workstation right now
crawls.. I know it's not the machine either, because mine running 95 is
faster, and my FreeBSD box running with only 32mb runs faster than all 3..

So I guess a more appropriate question would be, what would apply to the
purpose.. and if FreeBSD is going to be ported to Sparc, when, and will it
do Solaris binaries? :-)

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange, Bangor Maine USA
http://www.droo.orland.me.us

PGP ID: 409A1F7D