Date:      Fri, 06 Nov 2009 17:25:06 +0100
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Alex Dupre <ale@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Oliver Schonrock <oliver@realtsp.com>, alistair@realtsp.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: php5-5.2.11_1 upgrade path to 5.3.0/1

Alex Dupre wrote:
> Miroslav Lachman ha scritto:
>> So you don't plan to leave 5.2.x version in ports for people who need to
>> maintain servers in production with many clients and many 'old' web
>> applications?
>
> Like we don't have ports for php 5.0 and 5.1, I'll not maintain ports
> for 5.2 when the switchover will take place. As you can see here
> (http://www.php.net/manual/en/migration53.incompatible.php) there aren't
> many incompatible changes.

I know there were not repo copy of older versions of PHP, but I think
this is where FreeBSD is loosing some points on "enterprise" market
against some other server OS distributions.
I know it is all about mans power and I am not trying to put some
pressure on you. Maintaining ports is not simple task and I know you are
maintainer of lot of them.
I am just thinking that it would be better if we can have versions of
PHP as with Apache [1.3, 2.0, 2.2] or MySQL [3.23, 4.0, 4.1, 5.0, 5.1,
5.4, 6.0 = all well maintained by you, of course ;)], or Postfix, Perl,
Python... so users and companies can stick longer time with "what is
well tested and working in production". (same as we have choice of
FreeBSD versions ~ 6.3, 6.4, 7.1, 7.2 + 8.0 in the near future)

Even if there are just a "few" incompatibilities, it means some clients
applications on webhosting will stop working and clients will scream on
helpline right after the update of the servers PHP...

I know it is not your problem etc., it is just a real world scenario of
some near future days ;)

So in my opinion it would be benefical to users if ports infrastructure
can handle all vendor supported branches for any port. PHP is just an
example in this case.

Miroslav Lachman