Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2018 17:29:19 +0100
From:      Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Subject:   Re: Ryzen issues on FreeBSD ? (summary of 4 issues)

On 24 January 2018 at 15:42, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net> wrote:
> b) CPUs manufactured prior to week 25 (some say week 33?) have a
> hardware defect that manifests itself as segfaults in heavy compiles.  I
> was able to confirm this on 1 of the CPUs I had using a Linux setup. It
> seems to confirm this, you need to physically look at the CPU for the
> manufacturing date :( Not sure how to trigger it on FreeBSD reliably,
> but there is a github project I used to verify on Linux
> (https://github.com/suaefar/ryzen-test)

According to post #39 in the referenced Linux thread
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1690085): "It
was officially fixed for all ryzen manufactured after week 30."

I currently have a Ryzen 1600X from week 17/30, which suggests it will
have the bug. Unfortunately, I don't have it built into a system yet
as I'm waiting for DDR4 prices to become reasonable again before
ordering any, so I can't test it.

I'm not sure how solid this info is, should I RMA it without even
having tested that it has a problem?

Alban Hertroys