Date:      Sat, 2 Dec 2000 02:53:08 -0500
From:      "Ray Slakinski" <thrawn@hub.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NATD[88]

Greetings all!

I am using Freebsd 4.0-RELEASE and my network appears to be running like a
champ, all my internal machines can view the internet, and the internet can
view my machine.

here comes the problem, I looked in my logs and noticed this

NATD[88] : failed to write packet back (Host is down)

This occures repeatedly in /var/log/messages and to say the least is very
confusing.  I have told the firewall ruleset to be open, and I get the same
results.

Here are my ipfw ruleset as it is currently:

00100 divert 8668 ip from any to any via ed0
00100 allow ip from any to any via lo0
00200 deny ip from any to 127.0.0.0/8
65000 allow ip from any to any
65535 deny ip from any to any

For more information, here is a section of my rc.conf file

firewall_enable="YES"   # Set to YES to enable firewall functionality
firewall_type="OPEN"            # Firewall type (see /etc/rc.firewall)

firewall_quiet="YES"            # Set to YES to suppress rule display
natd_enable="YES"                # Enable natd (if firewall_enable == YES).
natd_interface="ed0"           # Public interface to use with natd.
natd_flags="-pptpalias 192.168.0.10"

Thanks for any help,
Ray