Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 2002 01:43:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        Erik/Propcgamer - PGN Webmaster <webmaster@pgn.hwgn.net>, <erik@pgn.hwgn.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: 3com Etherlink III ISA NIC card using ftp setup

On Sun, 11 Aug 2002, Erik/Propcgamer - PGN Webmaster wrote:
> I tried to use the 3com Etherlink III ISA NIC card and do FTP server
> for the setup and it is not working!  Is there an extra driver that i
> need for this network card?  If so, how do i use it to setup/install
> freebsd?  Please e-mail your answer to erik@pgn.hwgn.net
> Thank you.

The install isn't exactly FTP "server," rather, the setup downloads all the
pertinent files to /mnt folder and then installs.  Could you repost the
output of the command `dmesg -a` so we know that your NIC is being seen by
the OS?

Does your Internet connection support DHCP?  If so, this is the easiest
method to successfully login via FTP.

It sounds like your card is pretty old if it is an ISA (and not PCI) card.

For example, I use TimeWarner RoadRunner cable modem internet service and
a 3Com Etherlink card, shown by dmesg:

xl0: <3Com 3c900B-TPO Etherlink XL> port 0xe400-0xe47f mem 0xe7004000-0xe700407f irq 12 at device 8.0 on pci0
xl0: Ethernet address: [not shown]
xl0: selecting 10baseT transceiver, half duplex

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder