Date:      Wed, 05 Oct 2005 12:51:07 -0400
From:      "J. T. Farmer" <jfarmer@goldsword.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hosts/dns contention in FBSD 5.4

Malcolm Kay wrote:

>On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 11:06 am, Jeremy Bogan wrote:
>

>>You could try running a caching DNS server locally, DjbDNS is
>>simple to setup and get going.
>>
>Yes, I have thought that maybe a local simple caching dns
>server would help; and if I can't otherwise fix the problem
>I'll give it a go. And I appreciate your suggestion of
>DjbDNS.
>
>It does seem however that this should not be necessary.

It is necessary when you have multiple machines and you take away
the connection to their DNS.

So, you have a couple of choices.  the first is to setup each machine
such that it refers to it's local files first, then looks for the remote DNS
or you setup a local caching server.  Personally, I would go for the
second choice. A local server can be responsible for DNS for all
local machines (including itself) as well as referring & caching external
lookups.  this makes life a lot simpler for configuring the other
computers.

John

John T. Farmer            Owner & CTO                GoldSword Systems
jfarmer@goldsword.com     865-691-6498               Knoxville TN
    Consulting, Design, & Development of Networks & Software