Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 01:17:36 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
To:        Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recursive diff? How?

Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se> wrote:

> The original situation arose from doing as in the snippet below. When I made the
> diff with -crN however it actually did work. I still do not understand why diff
> -r barfs.

Because if you use diff with -r only, and you ommit any options that
generate `context' in the diff output, the patch does not contain
enough information for patch(1) to apply the patch.

Try using the following two commands:

	% diff -r src.orig src > patch.diff

and

	% diff -u -r src.orig src > patch-unified.diff

and look closely to patch.diff and patch-unified.diff :-)

The extra context and file information in patch-unified.diff are of a
great importance to patch(1) when it tries to `apply' your diff to a
source tree.

-giorgos