Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 95 20:40:15 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kernel subsystem modularization

I have just uploaded patches for kernel subsystem modularization to
the file ~terry/SYSINT.tar.gz.

These patches lay the groundwork for easing the BSD 4.4Lite2 code
integration, as well as setting up the base code required to get
rid of the distinction between static and LKM code.

The README from the tar file follows.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.

The directories contain absolute path diffs using the symlink /sys to
point to /usr/sys.

The diffs are named dirname.diff.

The mountroot() call in init_main.c differs.  It is an easy change to
change this from the modified VFS code (this one line change conflicts
with the VFS patches submitted earlier).

The file kern/init_main.c is an out-and-out replacement.

The major architecural issues are made obvious in comments in the kernel.h
header file.

Basically, this moves the per kernel subsystem system initialization
to each of the kernel subsystems being initialized.  The intent is to
allow drop-in replacement of sybsystems by avoinding global references,
addition of subsystems at kernel link time, and link time rather than
compile time optioning of certain option drivers/devices/pseudo-devices.

This work is an extension of the work Garrett Wollman started with the
PSEUDO_SET code in sys/kernel.h.

The PSEUDO_SET code should go away in the future; the macro is currently
maintained for comapatability with the current formulation of the LKM
system; really, we would prefer that all devices, whether they are
LKM or not, use the same registration mechinism (same for VFS instances,
etc.).

The PSEUDO_SET backward compatability code will disappear when the LKM
code has been updated to use the linker sets for sysinit directly.