Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 1997 20:33:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A Desparate Plea for Help...

Hi Julian Elischer;  On 28-Apr-97 you wrote:

> The best thing for you to do with this
> is to compile the gernet
                    ^^^^^^ Kernel.  Right?
> using -g
> do this by using
> config -g
> do: (on the compile machine)
> make
> cp kernel kernel.debug
> strip -d kernel

Are the two above in / or in /usr/src/sys/compile/WHATEVER?

> also:
> cat >.gdbinit <<DONE
> set remotebaud 9600
> file kernel.debug
> target remote  /dev/cuaa1
> DONE

In / or in /usr/src/sys/compile/WHATEVER?

> compile the options DDB and set the default
> debugger to be gdb by booting with -g
>
> then if you get a crash,
> make sure that /dev/cuaa1 (com2) on your source machine is
> connected to com1 on the victim machine
> and type
> cd /sys/compile/<MYKENREL>
> gdb
>
> this (due to the .gdbinit) will fire up gdb and allow you to walk up and
> down the
> stack trace of the crashed kernel.
>
> even if the screen is stuck in X11.
>
> there are some problems I've seen.
>
> 1/ the newest gdb versions are not as good at doing this as some of the
> older ones.

What is an ``older but better'' one?  Version #, etc...

> and sometimes get confused.
> 2/ you must remember to make sure the system has sert gdb to be the
> kernel debugger.
> (there may be a compile time option for this.. I forget)

Could not find that, other than the -g at boot time.

> 3/ some uarts don't like this if com1 is already being used for
> something..
> (move your mouse to com2)

ay suggestion on what are the best settings for com4?  I need a mouse, a
serial
port for modem and a serial port for ISDN.  Can I configure everything to
use
com4 instead of com1?  Will make it simpler here.

Simon