Date:      Tue, 9 Dec 2003 18:02:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Fernando Durango <fernando@secret.org>
To:        "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@sohara.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ffmpeg-0.4.8_1 and bktr capture (FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE-p11)

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 13:12:50 -0500 (EST)
> Fernando Durango <ml-freebsd-multimedia@secret.org> wrote:
>
> FD> Now, when I capture using a script based on Steve O'Hara-Smith vcr,
> FD> ffmpeg dumps core when it finishes:
> FD> frame=  375 q=14.0 size=    9446kB time=15.0 bitrate=5158.8kbits/s
> FD> ffmpeg in free(): error: page is already free
>
> 	I've seen this message before (every time I run ffmpeg) ...
>
> FD> Abort trap (core dumped)
>
> 	... but no core dump - but then I haven't built the latest port.
>
> 	Does it make a good recording ?

Recording seems fine as far as I can tell, I do not visibly see any bad or
mangled frames.. I am guessing the code is just trying to free() something
that has already been free()d.

> FD> Lastly, I threw together some C code to set the tuner channel before
> FD> firing off ffmpeg, but it seems that ffmpeg resets the channel, even
> FD> tho I have not specified BKTR_FREQUENCY. Should this be the case?
>
> 	Most certainly it should not. I've just confirmed that the 0.48 port
> does not reset the channel in this case.
>
> FD> Is there any good example code for channel setting, besides digging
> FD> thru fxtv source?
>
> 	There is much less cluttered source in bktrjpeg.c and in simple_grab.c,
> I've deleted my copies but they were easy enough to find in the first place.
> There is also bsdbktr_tvtune.c on ftp.sohara.org, which is probably very
> similar to your C code and which I have just used to confirm retention of
> tuning.

Interesting, I will have to poke at my code a bit, as well as track down
bktrjpeg.c and simple_grab.c.

Also, John Wehle recently posted code for the WinTV-PVR, how much work
would be required to get it working on 5.1-RELEASE?

    -F