Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 12:40:23 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        darklogik@pittgoth.com
Cc:        Jamie Heckford <jamie@jamiesdomain.org.uk>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Chapter 11 - Storage

If memory serves me right, darklogik@pittgoth.com wrote:
> Actually, this is chapter 12, but its listed as the "disks" chapter in
> the handbook directory under cvs, I won't have to work on this until
> tonight, but if noone else does, I'll do something tonight...  You are
> kinda right, after the sep 11th attacks, that may just be considered
> "bad form".  Thanks for pointing it out to us...

[snip]

> > "A remote location is NOT the basement of the same office building. A
> > number of firms in the World Trade Center learned this lesson the hard
> > way."

The example of the World Trade Center is a good one.  I think it should
stay unless it is replaced with another concrete example of the need for
"really off-site" backups.  If you want to reword it to make it less
blunt, that's fine too.

It's disturbing to think about the events of September 11, but anyone
who feels that fault tolerance and disaster recovery is important would
be a fool not to study this incident and learn from it.

Bruce.

PS.  I'd guess off-hand that someone wrote the text in question *after*
September 11, otherwise the sentence wouldn't make much sense in
context.