Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2000 07:20:08 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        des@ofug.org (Dag-Erling Smorgrav)
Cc:        dg@root.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp.freebsd.org b0rked?

> >    No. It doesn't care about reverse DNS or what you typed in above. I don't
> > know why the connection was closed. Have you tried it more than once? Does it
> > still do that now?
>
> Yes, and yes - it consistently drops connections from this net, but it
> works fine from other places. I'm starting to wonder if there's a
> transparent proxy somewhere upstream that's screwing the pooch.
>
> Might there be some relevant information in the ftpd logs on
> ftp.freebsd.org? The hosts that fail to connect are all on the
> 193.212.248.0/25 subnet.

I have seen this with particular firewalls (I think CheckPoint
was one), where they attempt to do state tracking on FTP, and
fail to be able to do that and do address rewriting at the same
time.

The fix was to hack the FTP daemon to use leading zeros, so that
the IP address had the same number of digits before and after
being rewritten.

Later versions of the software didn't have the problem.

There was also a problem with PPPoE that ended up being the
ipfw packet drop code; there was a recent patch that went by
in -current, which seemed to address this, so maybe it's just
a case of old code, if you are running ipfw based firewalls on
FreeBSD boxes.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---